Friday, February 12, 2010

Why is Conan coming out on top?

Thought I'd weigh in on the whole late night saga that's been unfolding over the past couple months.

I think Conan O'Brien will definitely come out on top through this whole ordeal. Why? Because he grew a beard during the writer's strike.

As stupid as that sounds, I'm actually serious. The beard he grew was a symbol of protest for the writers. Conan has always been "for the people".

Conan bows to talented guests that he introduces in his monologue. A gesture that puts these guests on a pedestal, sort of above him.

His trademark self deprecating humor is another good example of the point I'm trying to make.

Conan is a nice guy. And as we all know, nice guys finish last. Last or not, he's still got his pride and about 35 million bucks.

Nobody is going to remember Leno as a nice guy. Maybe a rich, greedy, self serving guy, but not a nice guy.

My hat goes off to Conan. I'm excited to see where he lands... hoping it's not on Fox :-(

Cheers to the nice guys!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said. Conan is a decent human being who has so much respect for the Tonight Show that he'd rather give up his job than see it fail. He'll get a job somewhere else, and his loyal fans will follow him. I'm not worried about him, but I do miss unwinding during his show after a night of homework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how we haven't heard from Conan in a while. Will he show up on Letterman on Leno's first night back at the Tonight Show? I hope!

    ReplyDelete