Friday, November 13, 2009

Whether or not to use in-line compression or EQ

I can't count the number of times I've heard from music geeks that you should never use in-line compression when you are recording. There is a good argument to back up this suggestion; specifically, you can always compress audio after the fact, but if you record the compressed tones, you're stuck with them. Here are few reasons why I still use in-line compression.

First of all, the audio interface that I use is the Focusrite Octopre Platinum (which I use in conjunction with a Digidesign DIGI003). It has 8 discrete mic preamps, and on each Pre there is a soft-knee/hard-knee compressor. One of the main reasons I chose this particular interface was because it had in-line compression and "limiting" capabilities. (The compressor can be turned off if you choose not to use it.)


When I'm recording, I do like to use the compressors on the Focusrite unit because the compression adds character to tone of the audio. I don't even have to add much, and I start to hear differences in the overall character of the tones.

Another reason I like in-line compression is for the "head room" factor. When I'm recording something very dynamic, like a rock singer, it's nice to have the compressor on just a bit, so it gives me just a bit more head room in cases where the singer is belting it. The threshold of the compressor is what adds that extra bit of head room.

And if the singer does clip the channel, the limiter kicks in on the Focusrite unit and usually prevents the audio from clipping when it's recorded in Pro Tools.

I don't think there's enough compression on the track that I risk altering it to a point where I'm limited in mix down. Yet, during mix-down, I have to be mindful that the track has been compressed once already, so it's not over compressed if I add plug-ins later.

I would also use compression, to the full extent however, if I was renting high-end gear, like an Avalon 737SP. I usually only have the gear available for the tracking process, because renting high-end gear is expensive, so I typically take advantage of the compression on the Avalon while the audio is being tracked. In this case, I use the compressor very gently, just to gain some added head room and character.

I don’t use in-line EQ when I’m tracking; I don’t see the advantages. I think that proper choice of microphone and mic placement can help you get around EQ’ing in-line.

No comments:

Post a Comment