Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Christmas Hamper from CreComm Students

I know it's a little early to be thinking about Christmas, but it's not too early to start planning.

For a long time, Christmas made me pretty frustrated. The part of Christmas that frustrated me most was the frivolous spending on useless junk. It felt kind of like the biggest eff-you to people who are less fortunate.

Two years ago I participated in a Christmas Cheer Board hamper program. We sponsored a family that had just moved to Winnipeg. The family consisted of mom, dad, two young girls and a baby boy. They had just moved here from Syria and had no family here at all. The dad was in school full time to learn English; he worked as an engineer in Syria. The mom was taking care of the kids.

The family was super appreciative, and the whole experience was totally uplifting.
I participated again last year and had a very different experience; but it was still totally worthwhile.

I didn't want to miss the opportunity to take part in the program this year, so I'm hoping to get the support of CreComm students so we can fill a hamper.
We're going to create a Facebook group that will allow people to check which items still need to be purchased, as the hamper fills up. Students will be able to drop off donations to a designated spot in the lobby of the CreComm office. The hamper will be setup some time in early November.

I don't think I will ever get use to the dumb spending on useless junk that inevitably comes with Christmas, but I can at least take solace in knowing that one more family will be able to enjoy the holiday.

In order to tie this post in to the music geek theme, I've come up with a metaphor...
If I was a rock star, I would put on a cheesy turtle neck sweater, and ask my other rock star friends to put on some cheesy turtle neck sweaters, and get them record a cheesy Christmas song with me. We would then give the royalties from the song to charity.

7 comments:

  1. Great cause.

    I used to deliver hampers, and the people who got them really, really needed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yah, I totally agree. I heard from Klara in the CreComm office that instructors will also be sponsoring a family through a Christmas Cheer Board hamper. Hopefully we can get two hampers filled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it optimistic to hope for three or maybe even four hampers filled (one from each class+ the instructor hamper)?

    I feel the same way you do about Christmas. I have had several years worth of Christmases where I've been rather depressed over life situations and been miserable--it's a very busy time of year for my family so I feel like I can't get time in to breathe, and that stresses me out. I'm almost dreading Christmas for that reason, even though I'm sure this year will be better, because life situations are better. That being said, I'm very lucky to have food on my table, and more "things" than many other families, so I don't feel like I really need all that much in terms of material items. I don't know what to ask for, because I feel guilty nowadays for asking for things that are merely "wants" and not "needs".

    My work used to fill out these hampers, I've never helped deliver them, but I really love pulling stuff from my pantry and bringing it in. As soon as you get a list or a facebook group up, I'll be scouting it out and bringing in bag after bag of stuff (including fringe things like chips...everyone deserves a treat)! :) Thanks for taking such initiative with a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post Jen!

    I would love it if you could help champion this initiative with us.

    Let's shoot for one hamper and then gauge how well it's coming along. If we feel that adding another hamper is doable, we'll do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to help out in any way I can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love doing Christmas Cheerboard stuff. It's the best to deliver hampers to a family. I will totally help if you need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, that would be great. You could be our champion for class 3.

    This is really coming together, I think it will be a great success!!!

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete