Thursday, October 1, 2009

The sum of all your drives

This blog post might just blow your mind. Consider yourself forewarned.

While I was waiting for the 10 Provencher in front of the MTS center on Tuesday, I began wondering how many gigs of hard drive space I have. So when I got home, I decided to figure it out.

My studio computer has two hard drives, totaling a terabyte worth of storage space (that’s a 1000 gigs).

My old studio computer, (which has been downgraded to an office computer) has three hard drives totaling 200 gigs.

My laptop has a single 80gb drive, and the computer that my fiancé used before we moved in together (which has been sitting unused for months now) has a single 40gb drive in it.

I have two external hard drives that I use to backup studio work; one is 100gigs and the other is 250.

I also have to consider that my MP3 player has a 4gb memory stick in it, and my portable recorder has an 8gb compact flash card.

I have three thumb drives (don’t ask me why), totaling 13 gigs.

So, the sum of all my drives is 1695 gigs of possible storage.

Let me put that in context… the average MP3 file is around 5 megabytes. There are exactly 1024 megabytes in a gigabyte. Hypothetically speaking, if I was to fill all of the potential storage space in my house with Mp3 files, I could store 345, 780 songs.

Here’s where your mind might blow up, so please lay down a mat or something so it’s easier for your loved ones to clean up the mess.

According to a statistic I found on WikiAnswers, they estimate that 365 million people have computers worldwide. Think about how much data in total resides on all of those computers.

That’s pretty staggering when you consider that only a decade ago, Bill Gates was quoted as saying, “'640K is more memory than anyone will ever need”.

4 comments:

  1. That's a lot of room for videos of animals through a fish eye lens.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfbVjYwBaQE

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mfdV9oLksY

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9KTg1K_Ffo

    ReplyDelete
  2. all your drives are belong to us.

    mine pales in comparison at 694. (old pc, new mac, external hard drives, three flash drives, ipod; digital recorder, cell phone and camera not included.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. Not sure how much we have on our desktop computer but my lap top is 100 I believe, I have an 8 gig Ipod, and a 4 gig flash drive. 112 very unimpressive gigs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is probably the geekiest question i'll ever post... but have you ever tried to decompress those hard drives? i think that'll yield you more space to store cool things!

    haha, yep, geeky...

    ReplyDelete