Tuesday, October 13, 2009

CTV Winnipeg Consumerwatch, we’ve got a story for you.

A group of Cre-Comm students and I recently completed a small research project on compact fluorescent light bulbs. As boring as that might seem, it was actually quite interesting.

The purpose of the research project was to attempt to uncover an unknown (or lesser known) aspect about a product; something that consumers ought to know. The vast majority of the information we gathered came from the internet. It reminded me that no matter what subject you are researching on the internet, the research process quickly becomes a game that we all know as, “okay, who wrote this and how credible is it?”

It would be really nice to know for sure how many people actually just throw CFL bulbs in the trash. If I had a ton of money to throw around, aside from renting huge billboards around the city that would be designed simply to confuse people, I would hire a public opinion firm to get my damn answers (something the internet could not do).

I would also like to know if a CFL bulb can actually last 10 years, as some companies claim. I’m pretty sure the research and development people behind CFL bulbs figured out that people don't keep track of details that far back. Unless of course you are that person, that has “the list” of dates and details…

I have to admit, I’ve thrown away CFL bulbs, and I’ve even had one break. Years ago I installed a CFL bulb in a light socket at the end of the stair well that leads to my basement, which was dubbing as a rehearsal spot for the band I was in. The bulb was longer than an incandescent bulb, so it protruded from the opening by about 2 inches. We were returning our gear to the jam spot after a gig one very early morning (perfectly sober and eager to be lifting super heavy equipment), and Jonathon’s stupid heavy guitar cabinet, while being lifted so eloquently, smashed the bulb.

I think we used a vacuum to clean it up, which is exactly what you’re not supposed to do when cleaning up trace amounts of mercury-exposed powder. I simply didn’t know about the risk factors associated with CFL bulbs. I think a lot of people are unaware of the risk factors. And for that reason, I think CTV Winnipeg’s Consumer Watch should produce a feature on CFL bulbs. Inform people of the risks and tell them how they can properly dispose of them.

1 comment:

  1. It's unfortunate, but I know quite a few people who've said while they'd love to use bulbs that are better for the environment, they feel the risks to kids/pets with CFL bulbs (in case they break, as you pointed out) are too high to make them switch.

    ReplyDelete